See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug Administration, and Related Agency Appropriations Fiscal Year 2009-2010
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to adopt a conference report that makes appropriations for fiscal year 2009-2010 to agriculture programs, rural development programs, the Food and Drug Administration, and related agencies.
- Appropriates $126.46 billion for agriculture, rural development, the Food and Drug Administration, and related agencies for fiscal year 2009-2010, including the following allocations (Title I-VI):
- $82.78 billion to Domestic Food programs;
- $24.57 billion to Rural Development programs;
- $12.54 billion to Agriculture programs;
- $3.25 billion to the Food and Drug Administration;
- $2.09 billion to the Foreign Agricultural Service; and
- $1.01 billion to Conservation programs.
- Appropriates $350 million for dairy producer aid, $60 million of which shall go to the purchase of cheese and other dairy products and $290 million of which shall go to the assistance of dairy and other livestock producers that incur economic losses in connection with dairy and other livestock production (Title VII Sec. 748).
- Appropriates $4 million to the Secretary of Agriculture for grants for programs that develop and field test food products that are "designed to improve the nutritional delivery of humanitarian food assistance" (Title VII Sec. 724).
- Appropriates $3 million to the Hunger Fellowship Program, a program designed to encourage leadership in humanitarian service, to provide training and development opportunities for such leaders, and to increase awareness of the importance of public service (Title VII Sec. 727).
- Resolves that combat pay will not be considered income when determining eligibility for free or reduced school lunches for the children of members of the United States Armed Forces, nor for military eligible to apply for the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Children, and Infants (Title VII Sec. 734).
- Prohibits the use of funds to provide first class travel to employees of agencies that receive funding under this Act (Title VII Sec. 736).
- Prohibits the use of funds to establish or implement rules allowing the importation of poultry products from the People's Republic of China, unless the Secretary of Agriculture takes specified steps including conducting audits of inspection systems and on-site reviews of Chinese poultry processing facilities before certifying any such products as eligible for importation (Title VII, Sec. 743).
- Resolves that any household with at least 1 eligible child receiving assistance under the Richard B. Russell National School Lunch Act will continue to receive assistance from a state agency plan approved by the Department of Agriculture if the child's school is closed for more than five consecutive days due to a pandemic emergency (Title VII, Sec. 746).