See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Prohibiting Earmarks
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote on a motion to suspend rules and advance an amendment to S 510 that prohibits earmarks.
More Info About this Vote
- Prohibits points of order to consider bills, joint resolutions, conference reports, or amendments containing “earmarks”:
- Returns bills, joint resolutions, and conference reports to the calendar if a point of order is sustained.
- Defines “earmark” as a “provision…providing, authorizing, or recommending a specific amount of discretionary budget authority, credit authority, or other spending authority for a contract, loan, loan guarantee, grant, loan authority, or other expenditure with or to an entity, or targeted to a specific State, locality or Congressional district”.
- Specifies that provisions of this amendment will only apply to legislation in fiscal years 2011-2013.
- Exempts legislation that authorizes appropriations to federal entities, as long as the authorization is “not specifically targeted to a State, locality, or Congressional district”.
NOTE: THIS IS A VOTE ON A MOTION TO SUSPEND THE RULES AND PASS THE BILL. A TWO-THIRDS MAJORITY IS REQUIRED.