See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Emergency Senior Citizens Relief Act
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote on a motion to invoke cloture on a bill that grants an additional $250 payment in 2011 to recipients of federal benefits.
More Info About this Vote
- Requires the Secretary of the Treasury to disburse additional payments of $250 to individuals who were entitled to any of the following in October, November, or December 2010, whereas existing law restricted payments to individuals who were only entitled to such benefits in 2009 (Sec. 2):
- Social Security;
- Railroad Retirement benefits;
- Veterans benefits; or
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI).
- Authorizes government retirees, who receive pension benefits for services to the United States or any State, and who are not eligible to receive the $250 payment, to claim a $250 income tax credit in 2011, whereas existing law only allowed retirees to claim this credit in 2009 (Sec. 2).
- Authorizes the disbursement of $250 payments to individuals who reside in locations with an Army Post Office, Fleet Post Office, or Diplomatic Post Office, whereas existing law excluded these individuals (Sec. 2).
- Reduces the maximum allowable amount for the "Making Work Pay" tax credit by $250, for individuals who receive a $250 payment. (Sec. 2).
- Prohibits the Secretary of the Treasury from disbursing payments after December 31, 2011 (Sec. 2).
NOTE: THIS IS A VOTE TO INVOKE CLOTURE ON A MOTION TO PROCEED, WHICH SENDS THE LEGISLATION TO THE FLOOR OF THE SENATE FOR DEBATE AND AMENDMENT. A MOTION TO PROCEED ALONE REQUIRES A MAJORITY FOR APPROVAL. HOWEVER, THE MOTION CAN BE FILIBUSTERED, AND WHEN THIS OCCURS, A CLOTURE VOTE IS NECESSARY TO VOTE ON THE MOTION TO PROCEED. A THREE-FIFTHS MAJORITY OF THE SENATE IS NECESSARY TO INVOKE CLOTURE.