See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Amends Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act to Prohibit Abortion Coverage
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that amends the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act to prohibit the use of federal funds to pay for any part of any health care plan that provides coverage for abortions.
- Prohibits federal funds, including credits applied toward qualified health plans and cost-sharing reductions, from being used to pay for abortions or to cover the costs of any health plan that includes coverage for abortion (Sec. 2).
- Exempts abortions that are performed under the following circumstances from the provisions of this act (Sec. 2):
- If the pregnancy is a result of rape or incest; or
- If the pregnant woman suffers from a physical disorder, injury, or illness that would place the woman in danger of death unless an abortion is performed.
- Authorizes any individual to purchase separate coverage for abortion, provided that no part of the coverage or plan is paid for with federal funds or state or local Medicaid matching funds (Sec. 2).
- Authorizes health insurers to provide coverage for abortions, provided that no part of the premiums or services are paid for with federal funds or state or local Medicaid matching funds, and that the insurer offers another qualified health plan that is identical in every respect except that it does not cover abortions (Sec. 2).
- Prohibits any federal, state, or local entity from subjecting any health care entity to discrimination on the basis that the health care entity refuses to undergo training in the performance of abortions, perform or pay for abortions, or provide referrals for abortions or abortion training (Sec. 2).