See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Prohibits Consideration of Bills Containing Earmarks
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to adopt an amendment to S 2038 that prohibits Congress from considering any bill, resolution, amendment or conference report that includes earmarks.
More Info About this Vote
- Defines “earmark” as a provision included primarily at the request of a Senator or Representative that:
- Authorizes an amount of discretionary spending targeted to a specific state, locality or other entity, and that provides a preferential federal tax credit, tax deduction, exclusion, or preference to a particular beneficiary or group of beneficiaries; and
- Contains eligibility criteria that are not uniform in application with respect to potential beneficiaries of the provision.
- Exempts appropriations that are awarded through a statutory or competitive award process from the provisions of this amendment.
- Specifies that if the nature of a provision cannot be determined, an affirmative two-thirds Senate vote will be used to decide whether or not the provision is an “earmark.”
NOTE: THIS LEGISLATION NEEDED A THREE-FIFTHS MAJORITY VOTE TO PASS.