See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Authorizes Development of Oil Shale Resources
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that authorizes the exploration and development of oil shale and tar sand resources in certain areas.
- Specifies that the statements regarding oil shale and tar sands resource management published by the Bureau of Land Management on November 17 and 18, 2008, satisfy all legal and procedural requirements under any law and do not require any other administrative action (Sec. 2).
- Requires the Secretary of the Interior to hold a commercial lease sale within 180 days after the enactment date of this bill and offer an additional 10 parcels of federally-owned oil shale and tar sands resources that are located on federal lands, including oil shale resources underlying non-federal surfaces, for exploration and development (Sec. 3).
- Requires the Secretary of the Interior to hold at least 5 separate commercial lease sales by January 1, 2016, of the following areas (Sec. 3):
- Areas that are deemed by the Secretary to have the most potential for oil shale development;
- Areas that are composed of at least 25,000 acres; and
- Areas nominated by public comment.