See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Prohibits Reductions to Strategic Nuclear Arms Required by New START
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to adopt an amendment to HR 4310 that prohibits the use of funds to reduce, convert, or decommission any nuclear weapons until the President certifies that the Russian Federation is making similar reductions and is not developing or deploying certain nuclear weapons.
- Prohibits any funds appropriated to the Department of Defense from being used to reduce, convert, or decommission any “strategic delivery system” as required under the New START unless the President certifies to Congress all of the following:
- The Russian Federation must make a similar reduction, conversion, or decommission of its strategic delivery system; and
- The Russian Federation is not developing or deploying a strategic delivery system that is not covered under the treaty's limits and is capable of reaching the United States.
- Defines “strategic delivery system” as any of the following delivery platforms for nuclear weapons:
- Land-based intercontinental ballistic missiles;
- Submarine-launched ballistic missiles and associated submarines; or
- Nuclear-certified strategic bombers.
- Prohibits any funds appropriated to the Department of Defense from being used to reduce, convert, or decommission any strategic delivery system if such a reduction would eliminate any of the 3 types of strategic delivery systems.