See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Prenatal Nondiscrimination Act (PRENDA) of 2012
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that prohibits abortions based on the race or gender of the fetus.
- Prohibits abortions sought due to the sex, gender, color, or race of the fetus, or the race of a parent of the fetus (Sec. 3).
- Specifies that the following acts are not abortions and are exempt from the provisions of this bill (Sec. 3):
- The termination of a pregnancy in order to save the life or preserve the health of the fetus;
- An operation to remove a dead fetus from a spontaneous abortion; or
- The removal of an ectopic pregnancy.
- Specifies that any of the following individuals who knowingly terminate a pregnancy on the basis of race or gender have committed an offense punishable by a fine, 5 years in prison, or both (Sec. 3):
- Any individual who performs a sex-selection or race-selection abortion;
- Any individual who solicits or accepts funds to perform a sex-selection or race-selection abortion;
- Any individual who coerces a pregnant woman into having a sex-selection or race selection abortion using force or the threat of force; and
- Any individual who transports a pregnant woman into the United States or across a state line for the purpose of obtaining a sex-selection or race-selection abortion.
- Requires the following health professionals to report known or suspected sex-selection or race-selection abortions to law enforcement (Sec. 3):
- Physicians' assistants;
- Counselors; and
- Any other medical or mental health professional.
- Specifies that a health professional who fails to report a known or suspected sex-selection or race-selection abortion commits an offense punishable by a fine, 1 year in prison, or both (Sec. 3).
- Authorizes the woman upon whom the sex-selection or race-selection abortion is performed, the father of the fetus, or the maternal grandparents of the fetus to bring civil action against the health professional that preformed the sex-selection or race-selection abortion (Sec. 3).
- Exempts the woman upon whom a sex-selection or race-selection abortion is performed from prosecution or civil liability (Sec. 3).
More Info About this Vote
NOTE: THIS VOTE WAS TAKEN UNDER A SUSPENSION OF THE RULES TO CUT OFF DEBATE EARLY AND VOTE TO PASS THE BILL, THEREBY REQUIRING A TWO-THIRDS MAJORITY FOR PASSAGE.