See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Repeals Sugar Subsidies
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to table an amendment to S Amdt 2392 to S Amdt 2391 to S 3240 that reduces the amount of sugar subsidies for the 2012-2014 crop years, and repeals all sugar subsidies in the 2015 crop year.
More Info About this Vote
- Reduces the rate for loans to processors of domestically grown sugarcane from 18.75 cents per pound for raw cane sugar in the 2012 crop year to rates that are “progressively and uniformly” lower for the 2013 and 2014 crop years.
- Reduces the rate for loans to processors of domestically grown sugar beets from 24.09 cents per pound for refined beet sugar in the 2012 crop year to a rate that is “progressively and uniformly” lower for the 2013 and 2014 crop years.
- Repeals loans to processors of domestically grown sugarcane and sugar beets in the 2015 crop year.
- Prohibits the Secretary of the Department of Agriculture from providing any form of price support for any of the 2015 and subsequent crops of sugarcane or sugar beets.
- Requires the Secretary of the Department of Agriculture to develop and implement a program to increase the tariff-rate quotas for raw cane sugar and refined sugars in a manner that ensures a “robust and competitive” sugar processing industry in the United States and an “adequate” supply of sugar at “reasonable” prices in the United States.
NOTE: A SENATOR MAY MOVE TO TABLE ANY PENDING LEGISLATION, THUS HALTING FURTHER CONSIDERATION. A "YEA" VOTE IS IN SUPPORT OF HALTING FURTHER CONSIDERATION, AND A "NAY" VOTE IS IN SUPPORT OF FURTHER CONSIDERATION. TABLING MOTIONS ARE OFTEN USED TO KILL LEGISLATION.