See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: National Security and Job Protection Act
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that repeals reductions to defense spending and requires the president to propose replacement reductions in other areas of discretionary spending.
- Repeals required reductions to defense spending for fiscal year 2013-2014 if a bill is passed that replaces reductions in defense spending required by the Budget Control Act of 2011 with reductions in discretionary spending (Sec. 3).
- Limits discretionary spending to no more than $1.05 trillion for fiscal year 2013-2014 (Sec. 3).
- Requires the Office of Management and Budget and the president to repeal any discretionary spending that exceeds spending limit for fiscal year 2013-2014 (Sec. 3).
- Reduces the discretionary spending limit for security and nonsecurity spending for fiscal year 2013-2014 by $19.10 billion beginning January 2, 2013 (Sec. 3).
- Specifies that any order issued by the president to reduce direct spending for defense functions is null and void (Sec. 3).
- Requires the president to propose 5-year spending reductions equal to or greater than those required by the Budget Control Act of 2011 by October 15, 2012 (Sec. 4).