See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Northern Route Approval Act
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that exempts the Keystone XL pipeline from the requirement of a presidential permit, establishes a deadline for filing claims, and requires the pipeline owners and operators to develop an oil spill response plan.
- Exempts the Keystone XL pipeline from the requirement of a presidential permit (Sec. 3).
- Establishes a 60 day deadline for any claims that are filed with the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit regarding the constitutionality of this bill, validity of final orders of action, or the adequacy of environmental impact statements for the Keystone XL pipeline (Sec. 4).
- Requires any claims filed with the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit regarding the Keystone XL pipeline to be expedited by the court (Sec. 4).
- Requires the Secretary of the Army to issue all permits related to navigable waters necessary for the construction, operation, and maintenance of the Keystone XL pipeline within 90 days of receipt of the application for the permit (Sec. 7).
- Prohibits the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency from prohibiting or limiting any activity or use of an area that is authorized by the navigable water permits issued by the Secretary of the Army (Sec. 7).
- Requires pipeline owners and operators who are required by federal law to develop an oil spill response plan for the Keystone XL pipeline to submit the plan to the governor of each state in which the pipeline operates (Sec. 9).