See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Requires the Completion of the Fence Along the United States-Mexico Border
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to adopt an amendment to S 744 that prohibits adjusting the status of undocumented immigrants until the completion of certain aspects of the southern border fence.
More Info About this Vote
- Prohibits the Secretary of Homeland Security from processing applications for registered provisional immigrant status until 350 miles of southern border fencing has been completed.
- Prohibits the Secretary of Homeland Security from adjusting the status of individuals currently classified as registered provisional immigrants until the secretary certifies to the President and Congress the completion of the following measures:
- The "substantial" deployment and operation of the Comprehensive Southern Border Security Strategy;
- The implementation and "substantial" completion of the Southern Border Fencing Strategy;
- The completion of 700 miles of southern border fencing;
- The implementation of the employment verification system; and
- The operation of an electronic exit system at air and sea ports of entry.
- Specifies that double-layered fencing constructed in a way to effectively restrain pedestrian traffic is the only fencing that meets the 700 mile requirement in this bill.
NOTE: THIS LEGISLATION NEEDED A THREE-FIFTHS MAJORITY VOTE TO PASS.