See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Establishes Framework for the Closing of the Detention Facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, by December 1, 2014
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to adopt an amendment to HR 1960 that prohibits funds from being used to maintain Guantanamo Bay after December 31, 2014, and requires the president to submit a plan identifying the prospects for each individual detained at Guantanamo Bay.
- Prohibits any funds authorized, appropriated, or otherwise made available to the Department of Defense from being used after December 31, 2014 for the detention facility or detention operations at United States Naval Station, Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
- Authorizes the use of funds appropriated in this act or otherwise made available to the Department of Defense to be used to complete the following:
- To construct or modify any facility in the United States to house any individual detained at Guantanamo Bay for the purposes of detention or imprisonment;
- To transfer, release, or assist in the transfer or release to or within the United States an individual detained at Guantanamo Bay; or
- To transfer an individual detained at Guantanamo Bay to the custody or control of the individual’s country of origin, any other foreign country, or any other foreign entity.
- Rescinds $247.40 million appropriated to the Army for military construction at Guantanamo Bay.
- Requires the president to designate a senior official with the principal responsibility for coordination and management of the transfer of individuals detained at Guantanamo Bay, and the closure of Guantanamo Bay detention facility.
- Requires the senior official with principal responsibility to consult with the Secretary of Defense, Attorney General, and intelligence community during the transfer of detainees and closure of Guantanamo Bay.
- Requires the president to submit to Congress within 60 days of the enactment of this act a plan identifying the prospects for each individual detained at Guantanamo Bay who is designated for prosecution as of the date of the enactment of this act, including the following:
- The transfer to the United States for trial or detention;
- The transfer to a foreign country for prosecution; or
- Requires the president to submit to Congress at least 30 days before transferring any individual detained at Guantanamo Bay to the United States or to a foreign country or entity a report that includes certain information including, but not limited to, the following information:
- The notice of the proposed transfer;
- The “likelihood” the detainee will resume terrorist activity if transferred or released; and
- The “likelihood” the detainee will reestablish ties with associated forces that are engaged in hostilities with the United States or its coalition partners if transferred or released.