See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Requires Mine Operators to Include the Cost of Cleanup in Financial Insurance
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to adopt an amendment to HR 761 that requires mine operators to include the cost of cleanup in the financial insurance prior to the issuance of a mining permit.
- Requires a mineral exploration or mine permit applicant to reimburse the United States, each state, and each Indian tribe before receiving a permit for costs incurred with the following, including but not limited to:
- Costs of all reviews and approvals required for the permit; and
- Costs of contracting and salaries for public employees.
- Requires a state government that issues a mining permit to meet any requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 that would apply to a federal agency performing the same function.
- Extends the time period for approval of permit applications by an amount equal to any delay caused by the applicant’s failure to submit required documentation and payment in a “timely” fashion.