See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Amends the Maryland Health Insurance Plan
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to concur with House amendments and pass a bill that authorizes certain individuals to enroll in the Maryland Health Insurance Plan after the deadline.
- Exempts a “bridge eligible individual” from the enrollment deadline for the Maryland Health Insurance Plan that ended on December 31, 2013 (Sec. 1).
- Defines “bridge eligible individual” as an individual who meets certain criteria that include, but are not limited to, the following (Sec. 1):
- The individual can provide evidence that he or she attempted to obtain insurance through the Maryland Health Benefit Exchange and was unsuccessful in enrolling in coverage; or
- The individual who is or may become eligible for a health benefit plan because of a relationship with another individual.
- Specifies that a bridge eligible individual does not include an individual who is eligible for coverage under the following programs (Sec. 1):
- The Federal Medicare program;
- The Maryland Medical Assistance Program;
- The Maryland Children’s Health Program; or
- An employer-sponsored group health insurance plan that includes benefits comparable to the Maryland Health Insurance Plan benefits.
- Authorizes the benefits for a bridge eligible individual to be effective retroactively beginning no earlier than January 1, 2014 (Sec. 1).
- Requires the enrollment in the Maryland Health Insurance Plan to be closed to a bridge eligible individual who has not applied for enrollment as of March 31, 2014 (Sec. 1).
- Requires the Maryland Health Insurance Plan to submit a monthly report on the progress of enrolling bridge eligible individuals into coverage to the following committees (Sec. 4):
- The Legislative Policy Committee of the General Assembly;
- The Senate Finance Committee; and
- The House Health and Government Operations Committee.