See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that amends requirements relating to infants born alive during an abortion.
- Requires a health care practitioner who is present during an abortion or attempted abortion that results in an infant “born alive” to perform the following procedures (Sec. 3):
- The health care practitioner exercises the same degree of care as reasonably provided to any infant born at the same gestational age; and
- The health care practitioner immediately transports and admits the infant to a hospital.
- Defines “born alive” as the extraction of an infant from his or her mother, at any stage of development, who breathes or has a beating heart, pulsating umbilical cord, or voluntary muscle movement (Sec. 3).
- Requires a health care practitioner who does not immediately transport and admit an infant born alive to a hospital to be fined or imprisoned for up to 5 years (Sec. 3).
- Classifies the act of intentionally killing an infant born alive as murder (Sec. 3).
- Authorizes a woman upon whom an abortion was performed or attempted to file a civil action against an individual who violates the provisions of this bill (Sec. 3).