See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Increases Cigarette Taxes
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to concur with Senate Amendments and pass a bill that would increase the tax on cigarettes, effective October 1, 2015.
- Increases the tax on cigarettes from $0.425 a pack to $0.675 a pack (Sec. 1).
- Decreases the tobacco tax stamp discount from 7.5 percent to 4.75 percent (Sec. 1).
- Requires all revenue received from the increased tax to be deposited into the State General Fund for the Medicaid Program (Sec. 4).
- Requires a wholesaler of tobacco products to stamp cigarettes and collect tobacco tax when selling tobacco products to a Native American “reservation tobacco vendor” (Sec. 3).
- Defines “reservation tobacco vendor” as a seller of tobacco products which is a Native American nation or tribe, 1 or more members of such tribe, or an entity wholly owned by either or both, which sells cigarettes and/or other tobacco products within the boundaries of a “qualified” reservation (Sec. 3).
- Specifies that a reservation tobacco vendor is eligible for a refund of tobacco taxes paid on cigarettes and/or other tobacco products when the tobacco products are sold to tribal members of legal smoking age (Sec. 3).