See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Stop Sanctuary Policies and Protect Americans Act
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote on a motion to invoke cloture on a bill that prohibits sanctuary jurisdictions from receiving federal grants and increases penalties for an undocumented immigrant who reenters the United States after being deported.
- Prohibits a “sanctuary jurisdiction” from being eligible to receive certain law enforcement grants and community development block grants (Sec. 3).
- Defines “sanctuary jurisdiction” as a state or political subdivision of a state that has the following policy or practice (Sec. 2):
- The jurisdiction prohibits a government official from transmitting information regarding the citizenship of an individual to or from the Immigration and Naturalization Service; or
- The jurisdiction does not notify the Department of Homeland Security about the release of an undocumented immigrant.
- Prohibits a sanctuary jurisdiction from receiving funds from the State Criminal Alien Assistance Program (Sec. 3).
- Requires an undocumented immigrant who is deported from the United States and then attempts to reenter without consent from the Secretary of Homeland Security to receive the following penalty (Sec. 5):
- Up to 5 years of imprisonment, with the option of a fine;
- Up to 10 years of imprisonment, with the option of a fine, if the individual is convicted of 3 or more misdemeanors; or
- From 5 to 20 years of imprisonment, with the option of a fine, if the individual is convicted of an aggravated felony or reenters the country without consent at least 2 times.