See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Defend Our Capital Act of 2015
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to adopt an amendment to HR 3762 that amends firearm regulations in Washington, D.C.
- Requires the Chief of Police of the District of Columbia to issue a license to carry a concealed firearm that is valid for at least 5 years to any qualified individual who completes the application process (Sec. 302).
- Specifies that an individual is not qualified to receive a concealed firearm license if he or she is under 21 years old or is prohibited from possessing a firearm by federal law or court order (Sec. 302).
- Authorizes licensed individuals, including individuals with a valid out-of-state license, to carry a firearm anywhere in the District, except for the following locations (Secs. 302, 315 & 320):
- “Sensitive” public property on which security measures are implemented an entry point;
- Private property on which the owner prohibits firearms; and
- Property on which firearms are otherwise prohibited by law.
- Authorizes an individual to transport an unloaded firearm from a place where he or she is authorized to possess a firearm to any other place where he or she is authorized to possess a firearm, unless otherwise prohibited by law (Sec. 302).
- Authorizes an individual to possess a firearm without a registration certificate in the District, except for the following firearms (Sec. 309):
- A sawed-off shotgun;
- A machine gun; and
- A short-barreled rifle.
- Authorizes an individual to possess ammunition in the District, unless he or she is prohibited from possessing a firearm by federal law (Sec. 311).
More Info About this Vote
NOTE: THIS LEGISLATION NEEDED A THREE-FIFTHS MAJORITY VOTE TO PASS.