See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Fairness in Class Action Litigation and Furthering Asbestos Claim Transparency Act of 2016
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that expands requirements for individuals in a class action lawsuit and for individuals seeking compensation for exposure to asbestos.
- Prohibits a federal court from granting monetary relief for personal injury or economic loss to a party bringing a class action lawsuit, unless the party affirmatively demonstrates that each proposed member suffered the same type and scope of injury as the class representative (Sec. 2).
- Requires an asbestos settlement trust to file a quarterly report with the bankruptcy court that is made public on the court’s docket, including the following information (Sec. 3):
- A description of each demand the trust received;
- The name and asbestos exposure history of each claimant; and
- The payment made to each claimant by the trust.
- Specifies that the report does not include a claimant’s confidential medical record or full social security number (Sec. 3).