See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Scientific Research in the National Interest Act
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that requires a research grant awarded by the National Science Foundation to be in the national interest.
- Requires the National Science Foundation to award federal grants for basic research and education in the sciences only if the grant meets the following criteria (Sec. 2):
- The grant is in the national interest;
- The grant is “worthy” of federal funding;
- The grant is consistent with the definition of basic research;
- The grant is consistent with widely accepted scientific methods; and
- The grant promotes the progress of science in the United States.
- Specifies that a grant is in the national interest if it meets the following criteria (Sec. 2):
- The grant supports national defense;
- The grant advances health and welfare;
- The grant increase public scientific literacy;
- The grant increases economic competitiveness; or
- The grant develops an American STEM workforce.
- Specifies that the provisions of this bill do not alter the National Science Foundation’s intellectual merit or broader impacts criteria for evaluating grant applications (Sec. 2).