See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Establishes Labeling Standards for Genetically Modified Foods
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to concur with House amendments and adopt additional amendments to a bill that establishes regulations for labeling food containing genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
- Requires the Secretary of Agriculture to establish a national mandatory “bioengineered food” disclosure standard no later than 2 years after the enactment of this bill (Sec. 1).
- Defines “bioengineered food” as a food that contains genetic material that has been modified through in vitro recombinant DNA techniques not obtained through conventional breeding or found in nature (Sec. 1).
- Requires a bioengineered food to be disclosed in the form of text, a symbol, or an electronic or digital link (Sec. 1).
- Authorizes a small food manufacturer to disclose bioengineered foods through a telephone number or on a website (Sec. 1).
- Prohibits a state, county, or city from establishing a bioengineered food disclosure requirement, unless it is identical to the national standard (Sec. 1).
- Specifies that the Secretary of Agriculture is not authorized to recall a food on the basis of whether the food bears a bioengineered disclosure (Sec. 1).