See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Foreign Operations FY94 Appropriations Bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that appropriates $13.51 billion for foreign operations, export financing, and related programs for fiscal year 1994.
- Prohibits use of funds for abortions as a method of family planning, or for any program or organization that motivates or coerces any individual to practice abortion, or performs involuntary sterilizations.
- Excludes Cuba, Iraq, Libya, Vietnam, Iran, Serbia, Sudan, and Syria from any federal funding.
- Bars bilateral assistance funds to nations that support terrorism or provide a haven for terrorists.
- Prohibits funds to any nation that refuses to comply with the United Nations-imposed sanctions against Iraq, unless the President determines that the provided funds are used in the national interest of the U.S. or benefits the people of Iraq.
- Prohibits funds from programs that would entice businesses to relocate outside the country to decrease their number of American employees.
- $6.44 billion for the Agency for International Development, including $2.36 billion for the economic support fund, $903.82 million for assistance to new independent states of the former Soviet Union, and $811.9 million for the development assistance fund - $3.18 billion for the foreign military financing program.
- $805.19 million for the State Department, including $670.69 million for migration and refugee assistance, and $100 million for international narcotics control.
- $339.5 million for international organizations and programs
- $219.75 million for the Peace Corps.
- $1.61 billion for 1993 Supplemental Appropriations for the new independent states of the former Soviet Union.