See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Gun Ban Repeal Act of 1995
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that repeals the ban on semiautomatic assault weapons and sets the mandatory minimum prison sentence for possession of a firearm while committing a violent federal crime or drug trafficking.
- Sets the following mandatory minimum sentences in addition to the sentence imposed for the crime itself: 5 years in prison for possession of a firearm while committing a crime and 10 years in prison for brandishing a firearm while committing a violent federal crime or drug trafficking.
- Increases each of the above sentences by at least 20 years for a second offense.
- Sets the mandatory minimum sentence at 20 years in prison for discharging a firearm with the intent to injure another person while committing a crime.
- Sets a mandatory minimum sentence of 30 years in addition to the sentence imposed for the crime itself, if a machinegun or firearm equipped with a silencer is used while committing a crime, and sets a minimum sentence of life imprisonment if either is used in a second offense.
- Repeals certain prohibitions relating to semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices.