See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Appropriations bill FY96, Treasury, Postal Service
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to adopt a conference report that appropriates $20.25 billion to the Department of the Treasury, the Executive Office of the President, and other related agencies for fiscal year 1996.
- Prohibits the use of appropriated funds to pay for an abortion or any expenses under the Federal employees health benefit program, which provides any coverage for abortion, except if the woman's life is endangered, or in cases of rape or incest.
- Bans use of funds to pay for the "bolstering" of any foreign currency.
- Establishes the 13-member National Commission on Restructuring the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to determine whether the IRS could be replaced with a quasi-governmental agency or whether the IRS could perform other functions of the Federal Government.
- $10.3 billion to the Department of the Treasury, including $7.35 billion to the Internal Revenue Service, $1.45 billion to the United States Custom Service, and $531.9 million to the U.S. Secret Service for salaries and expenses.
- $5.24 billion to the Federal Buildings Fund for property management, construction, and other operating costs.
- $3.84 billion to the Office of Personnel Management, including $3.75 billion for payment for annuitants and employee health benefits.
- $127.5 million to the Executive Office of the President for drug control programs, including $23.5 million to the Office of National Drug Control Policy.
- $121.91 million for payments to the Postal Service Fund.
- $250,000 for compensation of the President.