See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Appropriations bill FY96, Defense
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to adopt a conference report that appropriates $245.31 billion to the Department of Defense for fiscal year 1996, among other purposes.
- Prohibits the use of Department of Defense funds or facilities for performance of an abortion, unless the life of the woman in endangered, or in cases of rape or incest.
- Requires the President to consult with Congress at least 15 days before initially deploying the U.S. Armed Forces, or within 48 hours after troop deployment if the President determines it is a case of national security.
- Prohibits the use of Department of Defense funds for any United Nations peacekeeping activity or to pay any debt to the United Nations.
- $81.34 billion for operation and maintenance, including $21.2 billion to the Navy, $18.27 billion to the Army, $18.6 billion to the Air Force, and $2.38 billion to the Marine Corps.
- $69.19 billion for military personnel, including $19.95 billion to the Army, $17.21 billion to the Air Force, $17.01 billion for the Navy, and $5.89 billion to the Marine Corps.
- $43.78 billion for procurement.
- $36.22 billion for research, development, testing, and evaluation.
- $10.18 billion for the Defense Health Program.
- $1.9 billion for Revolving and Management Funds, including the Defense Business Operations Fund and the National Defense Sealift Fund.