See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Appropriations bill FY96, Labor, HHS, Education
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that appropriates $257.6 billion for activities and programs under the Departments of Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and other related agencies for fiscal year 1996.
- Prohibits the use of federal funds for the purpose of political advocacy, including propaganda and participation in campaigns by means of monetary or in-kind contributions, endorsements, publicity or similar activities.
- Prohibits States' use of Medicaid funds for abortion services, except when the life of the woman is in jeopardy, or the pregnancy is a result of rape or incest.
- Allows a student to be awarded up to $2,440 during the 1996-1997 award year.
- Stipulates that none of the education research funds can go to the Goals 2000 Community Partnership Program.
- Rescinds $1 billion from low income energy assistance.
- $197.12 billion for the Department of Health and Human Services, including:
- $81.25 billion for grant to states for Medicaid.
- $32.64 billion for the Administration for Children and Families.
- $11.94 billion for national institutes of health.
- $30.26 billion for related agencies, including:
- $28.64 billion for the Supplemental Security Income Program.
- $23.06 billion for the Department of Education, including:
- $6.92 billion for student financial assistance.
- $6.01 billion for education services for the disadvantaged.
- $3.09 billion for special education.
- $6.93 billion for the Department of Labor, including:
- $3.18 billion for training and employment services.
- $153.93 million for state unemployment insurance and employment service operations.