See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Lobbying Disclosure Act of 1995
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that requires lobbyists to register with the Secretary of the Senate and the Clerk of the House of Representatives.
- Requires lobbyists earning at least $5,000 in 6 months, or an organization spending at least $20,000 in 6 months, to register within 45 days of making a lobbying contact with a Federal employee.
- Defines a lobbyist as "any individual employed or retained by a client for financial or other compensation for services that include more than 1 lobbying contact" and who spends more than 20 percent of his or her time working for the client on lobbying activities during a 6 month period.
- Requires registered lobbyists to make biannual reports which include the issues and bills lobbied and an estimate of income or expenses relating to lobbying activities.
- Specifies that non-profit civic organizations operating under Section 501 (c) (4) of the Internal Revenue Code are ineligible for Federal funds if they engage in lobbying activities.
- Establishes a fine of up to $50,000 for anyone who knowingly fails to comply with this act.