See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Omnibus FY97 Appropriations bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to adopt a conference report appropriating $591.75 billion to the Department of Defense, Department of Labor, Departments of Commerce, Justice, and State, Department of the Interior, and other federally funded agencies.
- Bans the use of funds to pay for an abortion, except in the case of rape or if the woman's life is endangered.
- Prohibits the usage of funds for the creation of human embryos for research purposes, or research in which a human embryo is destroyed or knowingly subjected to risk of injury or death greater than is permitted by law.
- Amends the Age Discrimination in Employment Amendments of 1986 to allow police and fire departments to use maximum hiring and mandatory retirement ages.
- Directs the Secretary of the Treasury to report to the Congress on new technologies for preventing and solving acts of terrorism involving explosive devices.
- Bans the use of appropriated funds to pay for a United Nations peacekeeping mission.
- Declares it is the policy of the United States to assist emerging democracies in Central and Eastern Europe to transition to full membership in NATO.
- $245.77 billion to the Department of Defense, including $79.31 billion for operation and maintenance, $70.05 billion for military personnel, $43.82 billion for weapon procurement, $37.44 billion for research, development, test, and evaluation, $10.21 billion for the Defense health program, and $100 million for defense against weapons of mass destruction.
- $204.1 billion to the Department of Health and Human Services, including $103.15 billion for Medicaid grants to states and $60.08 billion for payments to health care trust funds.
- $16.51 billion to the Department of Justice, including $3.19 billion to the Federal Prison System, $2.84 billion to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and $2.11 billion to the Immigration and Naturalization Service.
- $28.8 billion to the Department of Education, including $7.56 billion for student financial assistance.
- $6.21 billion to the Department of the Interior.
- $10.49 billion to the Department of the Treasury.
- $8.31 billion to the Department of Labor.
- $7.28 billion for bilateral economic assistance.
- $3.21 billion for military assistance.
- $715.25 million in emergency appropriations.