See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Cuba Sanctions Bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to adopt a conference report that increases United States sanctions against the Cuban government.
- States that the President should apply sanctions against all foreign countries providing assistance to Cuba.
- Requires all United States directors of international financial institutions to oppose the admission of Cuba as a member of their institution.
- Authorizes the President to provide published information, humanitarian assistance, and support for democratic and human rights groups in Cuba in support of democracy-building efforts.
- Stipulates that the United States will withhold assistance to the independent states of the former Soviet Union equal to the amount of assistance and credit that the country is providing for intelligence facilities in Cuba.
- Allows the President to take steps to terminate the economic embargo of Cuba, once a transition Cuban government is in power.
- Gives U.S. nationals the authority to sue a person or entity who traffics property confiscated by the Cuban government, and allows the President to suspend this authority for up to 6 months.
- Reaffirms ban on products that originate in Cuba, are made in Cuba, or are transported through Cuba.
- Condemns the Castro regime shooting of the "Brothers to the Rescue" aircraft and urges the President to seek Fidel Castro's indictment in the International Court of Justice.