See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Employment Nondiscrimination Act of 1996
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that extends the federal protections provided under the Civil Rights Act to sexual orientation.
- Defines "employer" as an individual or company with 15 or more employees, but such term does not apply to private membership clubs such a those that are tax exempt.
- Prohibits employers from subjecting an individual to a different standard or treatment on the basis of sexual orientation or otherwise discriminating against an individual on the basis of sexual orientation.
- Bans employers from giving preferential treatment to an individual on the basis of sexual orientation.
- Requires employers to post notices concerning this act.
- Excuses religious organizations or the Armed Forces.
- Specifically exempts the provision of employee benefits for an individual's domestic partner.