See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Nuclear Waste Disposal bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that requires the Department of Energy to prepare for the temporary storage of the United States' nuclear waste at Yucca Mountain by Jan 1, 2002.
- Instructs the Department of Energy to apply to the commission for authorization to construct a nuclear waste repository at Yucca Mountain, Nevada by January 1, 2002.
- Directs the Department of Energy to have a permanent repository for the nation's nuclear waste developed and operational by 2010.
- Calls on the Department of Energy to make necessary provisions for the safe transportation and handling of nuclear waste.
- Requires the Department of Energy to develop training standards for emergency response personnel.
- Pushes back the deadline for environmental impact assessments until after the facility begins operation.
- Exempts nuclear waste site planning from the Endangered Species Act, the Federal Lands Policy Management Act and the Clean Water Act.
- Requires the Department of Energy to compensate land-owners for reduced property value.