See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: African Growth bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that creates a new trade and investment policy for 48 Sub-Saharan African countries.
- Bases eligibility for Sub-Saharan trade benefits on the country's progress toward creating a market-based economy, a country's human rights record, and the country's efforts to eliminate slavery, among other factors.
- Establishes United States-Sub-Saharan Africa Free Trade Area.
- Creates a United States-Sub-Saharan Africa Trade and Economic Cooperation Forum.
- Encourages the Overseas Private Investment Corporation to initiate equity funds in Sub-Saharan African countries.
- Allows the President to provide duty-free treatment for some products from eligible countries.
- Eliminates existing quotas on textiles and apparel exports to the United States from Kenya and Mauritius.
- Increases punishment for exporters that engage in illegal transshipment of goods.