See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Interior Department FY98 Appropriations bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to adopt the conference report that calls for $14.14 billion in appropriations to the Department of the Interior and related agencies.
- Prohibits the Secretary of the Interior from using appropriated funds to purchase land to establish a new unit of the National Wildlife Refuge System, unless approved by the Congressional Appropriations Committees.
- Prohibits the Department of the Interior from using appropriated funds to conduct offshore oil and natural gas leasing, and related activities along certain parts of the coastline.
- Asks the Department of Justice to vigorously enforce the provision of the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act which requires an approved Tribal-State gaming compact.
- States that Congress should give special priority to the preservation of Civil War battlegrounds.
- $2.15 billion to the National Forest Service.
- $2.1 billion to the Indian Health Service.
- $1.7 billion to the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- $1.68 billion to the National Park Service.
- $1.36 billion to the Department of Energy.
- $1.15 billion to the Bureau of Land Management.
- $746.79 million to the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.
- $98 million to the National Foundation on the Arts.