See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Charter School Expansion Act of 1998
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill to provide $100 million to fund charter schools for fiscal year 1999.
- Grants priority for additional funding after the initial $51 million appropriation to states that evaluate and monitor charter schools' success at least once every five years, increase the number of successful charter schools, and allow charter schools to maintain fiscal autonomy.
- Requires school districts applying for charter schools to have a plan for complying with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act.
- Requires state education agencies to inform charter schools of available federal aid.
- Provides allocation of federal funding to charter schools according to a formula and ensures that new charter school receive part of their funding in their first year.
- Requires state agencies to share charter schools' best practices with local public schools.