See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Nonimmigrant Specialty Workers bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill to increase the number of temporary visas granted to highly skilled immigrant workers.
- Increases the maximum number of visas for skilled workers from 65,000 to 115,000 by 2000 and reduces maximum back down to 107,500 in 2001 and 65,000 by 2002.
- Increases penalties for companies that replace American workers with immigrants.
- Requires companies to recruit American workers before immigrants.
- Charges employers a $500 visa application and renewal fee for every immigrant and applies this money to college scholarships and worker training programs.
- Allows Department of Labor to conduct random investigations to enforce new guidelines.