See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: District of Columbia FY99 Appropriations bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that appropriates funds for the District of Columbia for fiscal year 1999.
- Prohibits the District from using local or federal funds for abortion services, unless the mother's life is endangered or the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest.
- Bars the District from using local or federal funds for needle exchange programs.
- Bans the District from using federal funds to conduct any ballot initiative to legalize controlled substances that have no recognized medical use or reduce penalties for their possession, use, or distribution.
- Prohibits funding from being used to carry out joint adoptions between unmarried couples who are not related by blood.
- 184.8 million for the administration and operation of correctional facilities.
- $142 million for District of Columbia courts.
- $25 million for Metrorail improvements and expansion.
- $21 million for the Nation's Capital Infrastructure Fund.
- $20.39 million for public charter schools.
- $7 million for environmental studies at Virginia's Lorton Correctional Complex.
- $3.24 million for a pay raise for District of Columbia firefighters.
- $2 million for a museum of local history.