See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Human Cloning Research bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote on a motion to invoke cloture on a bill that would ban the process of human cloning.
- Disallows the use of somatic cell nuclear transfer technology for purposes of human cloning.
- Bans the creation of cloned human embryos that would never have the opportunity for implantation.
- Prohibits the importation of an embryo produced through somatic cell nuclear transfer technology.
- Sets the penalty for violating the prohibition at up to 10 years in prison, a fine, or both.
- Establishes the National Commission to Promote a National Dialogue on Bioethics which will provide a national forum for discussion of bioethical issues, including cloning, and report on its findings to Congress.
- Expresses the sense of Congress that the Federal Government should advocate for an international effort to prohibit the use of human somatic cell nuclear transfer technology to produce a human embryo.
More Info About this Vote
NOTE: INVOKING CLOTURE REQUIRES A 3/5 MAJORITY OF THE SENATE. IT IS NOT A VOTE ON THE PASSAGE OF THE PIECE OF LEGISLATION, BUT LIMITS FURTHER DEBATE TO 30 HOURS. CLOTURE IS TYPICALLY USED TO END A FILIBUSTER. A FAILED CLOTURE VOTE OFTEN PREVENTS THE LEGISLATION FROM EVER COMING TO A VOTE.