See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Juvenile Justice bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill to provide state and local governments with federal grants to control juvenile crime, improve the juvenile justice system, and strengthen penalties for specific firearms-related crimes.
- Provides funding for states and local governments to develop school safety programs, to improve juvenile correctional facilities, to establish graduated sanctions for juveniles offenders, and to address drug, gang, and youth violence more effectively.
- Instructs states to pass on 75 percent of funding they receive to local governments and agencies.
- Withholds funding if states prematurely release violent criminals from prison.
- Establishes a mandatory 3 year prison sentence for any individual illegally selling a firearm to a juvenile, if they had reason to believe it would be taken into a school zone or used in a commission of a felony.
- Instructs Federal Sentencing Commission to increase by at least 5 levels the sentencing guidelines for individuals who commit a violent act against a child.
- Authorizes the FBI to provide assistance to state and local authorities in cases in which a child is the victim of a homicide.
- Grants teachers civil immunity from being held liable for actions taken against students if the teacher was acting in the scope of their employment and responsibilities.
- Expresses the sense of Congress that the entertainment industry has been irresponsible in portraying gratuitous violence in music, video games, movies, and television.