See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Education Funding for Disadvantaged Students-Passage
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that provides over $9 billion in federal grants to school districts that have a 40 percent poverty rate among the students.
- Provides assistance to small and rural schools with enrollments under 600 and to larger schools with school age poverty rates of at least 20 percent.
- Allows states to use at least 30 percent of federal funds to reward schools and district personnel for improvement in student performance.
- Calls upon public schools to remain secular, neutral, and non-ideological in their use of Title I funds.
- Permits students to transfer from a failing school to any public school located within their school district, unless state or local law prohibits it.
- Appropriates $5 million to ensure women have equal educational and career opportunities.
- Increases standards for hiring classroom aides while freezing the number who can be hired.