See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Mandatory Gun Show Background Check Act
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that calls for mandatory background checks for any individual purchasing a firearm at a gun show.
- Requires background checks of all buyers of guns at gun shows that involve or in some way affect interstate commerce, with at least 50 firearms for sale and 10 firearm vendors present.
- Requires background checks to be completed in 24 hours, down from 72 hours originally allotted for checks.
- Requires individuals to obtain instant check registration if they plan, organize, promote, or operate a gun show.
- States that an instant check registration entitles the registrant, for a 3-year period, to contact the national instant criminal background check system for information about any individual desiring to obtain a firearm at a gun show if a vendor requests assistance.
- Requires child safety devices to be sold along with handguns.
- Prohibits children under the age of 18 from possessing firearms or ammunition.
- Increases the penalty for committing a crime using a gun with a large-capacity magazine to a minimum 15-year jail sentence.