See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Small Business Liability Reform bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that would make significant changes to provisions of tort law relating to small businesses.
- Imposes a more rigorous standard of evidence to find small businesses liable for civil infractions.
- Caps punitive damages awards at $250,000, unless a court finds that the business being sued intentionally caused harm.
- Defines small business as a business that has fewer than 25 employees.
- Exempts the following from provisions in the bill:
- Violent crimes;
- Acts of international terrorism;
- Hate crimes;
- Civil rights violations;
- Sexual offenses;
- Certain offenses that harm or destruct natural resources; and
- Crimes committed while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.