See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Patient Protection bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that expands healthcare services for patients enrolled in managed care plans.
- Allows patients to sue health care insurers if denial of medical service impacts their health negatively.
- Calls for claims to be reviewed by external review boards and independent medical specialists to determine whether an insurer should have paid for a particular service and what compensation they may owe to the patient.
- Grants patients the right to seek care locally if services offered by their insurer are not located nearby.
- Requires that medical specialists, including obstetricians, pediatricians and gynecologists be included in health care plans.
- Bars insurers from offering incentives to doctors and hospitals to deny care.
- Protects insurers from lawsuits if they approved a procedure that a patient requested which resulted in an injury to the patient.
- Requires insurers to allow patients to go to the nearest emergency facility, in case of an emergency, regardless of their coverage plan.