See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Nuclear Waste Policy Amendments Act
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that establishes a timeline to implement a plan for transporting and storing spent nuclear fuel.
- Proposes the establishment of a nuclear waste storage repository at Nevada's Yucca Mountain by 2007, if granted a construction permit by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).
- Authorizes the Department of Energy (DOE) Secretary to determine if the proposed site is appropriate for nuclear waste storage and make a recommendation to the President by December 31, 2001.
- Grants the President power to decide whether to recommend the proposed site to Congress by March 31, 2002.
- Authorizes the NRC to decide whether to build the repository by January 31, 2006.
- Prohibits the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) from publishing and adopting public health and safety standards before June 1, 2001, to protect the public from exposure to radioactive materials or releases, except in accordance with the bill's provisions.
- Allows the EPA, in accordance with the National Academy of Sciences and the NRC, to set radiation and environmental protection standards for the proposed site after June 1, 2001.
- Requires the DOE Secretary to plan an Interstate System highway for the safe transportation of nuclear waste if a state fails to designate its own route.