See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Patient Bill of Rights bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that expands health care services for patients enrolled in managed care plans.
- Requires group health plans covering emergency medical care to provide coverage for emergency medical screenings which have been deemed necessary by a "prudent layperson".
- Specifies that patients do not need a referral from their primary care provider to receive care from obstetricians, gynecologists and pediatricians.
- Requires insurers to disclose all information in a specified plan to potential enrollees, current participants and beneficiaries.
- Calls for insurers to have internal and external reviews to examine medical denial claims.
- Replaces the Agency for Health Care Policy and Research with the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality and specifies agency mandates.
- Prohibits insurers from denying coverage or adjusting premiums based on a patient's "predictive genetic information".
- Allows self-employed individuals to fully deduct health insurance costs from their gross incomes.
- Prohibits group health plans from requiring patients to seek preauthorization for emergency medical treatment.