See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Foreign Operations FY2002 Appropriations bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to adopt a conference report on a bill that would provide $15.4 billion in appropriations for foreign operations, AIDS programs, and for other purposes for fiscal year 2002.
- $3.5 billion for the Agency for International Development.
- $475 million for International HIV/AIDS programs.
- $625 million for the Andean Regional Initiative for development and anti-narcotics programs.
- $727 million for the Export-Import Bank.
- $784 million for former Soviet Republics.
- $236 million for international disaster assistance.
- $2.04 billion (military) and $720 million (economic) in aid to Israel.
- Overturns ban on U.S. funds to overseas groups that use their own money to promote or perform abortions.
- Withholds aid to any nation that provides "lethal military equipment" to a government that is labeled as a "terrorist government" by the Secretary of State.
- No direct aid or reparations to Cuba, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Iran, Sudan or Syria.
- No aid to any nation that does not comply with the U.N. sanctions placed on Iraq unless it is in the United States' national interest.