See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Temporary Aid to Needy Families
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that would reauthorize existing welfare programs through 2007, including assistance for needy families, increase child care funding, marriage promotion, and others through block grants.
- Appropriates $16.6 billion annually for the Temporary Aid to Needy Families state block grants through fiscal year 2007.
- Increases child care funding by $1 billion over five years.
- Stipulates that 70 percent of families per state receiving assistance from TANF program must meet the 40 hours of "work activity" a week requirement, with at least 24 of the 40 hours entailing direct work experience.
- Appropriates $100 million annually through fiscal year 2008 to reward states that equal or exceed performance standards.
- Appropriates $200 million annually through fiscal year 2007 to promote marriages and the formation of families through the Healthy Marriage Promotion grant program.