See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Medicare Modernization and Prescription Drug Act
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that would authorize $350 billion for the Medicare Program, including establishing voluntary prescription drug benefits, and for other purposes through 2012.
- Allows HMOs, private drug insurers and benefit managers to offer drug benefits to Medicare recipients.
- Estimates by Congressional Budget Office outline about $33/month premium with a $250 annual deductible.
- Requires beneficiaries to pay between $2000 and $3700 annually for out-of-pocket costs of prescription drugs.
- Creates the Medicare Benefits Administration with leaders appointed by the President.
- Offers grant assistance to pharmacies under this new legislation.
- Increases spending for inpatient services provided by hospitals in rural or metropolitan areas with populations less than one million and for services provided by home health agencies in rural areas.