See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Patients' Bill of Rights
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that allow patients to appeal decisions made by their health plan organization about coverage and treatment and provide federal protections, such as access to emergency room care.
- Gives patients the right to sue insurance companies over medical decisions in state court, with a cap of $5 million on non-economic damages.
- Requires that patients demonstrate harm, not just allege it, before going to court.
- Exempts hospitals and physicians from liability for certain health plan decisions.
- Bans concurrent suits in federal and state court.
- Prohibits insurance companies from penalizing doctors for ordering procedures that insurance companies do not classify as necessary.
- Allows patients to visit the closest emergency room, regardless of other factors.