See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Project BioShield Act of 2003
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that would authorize the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to carry out Project Bioshield.
- $5.6 billion was authorized for fiscal years 2004 to 2113, with strict limitations.
- Specified only $3.4 billion to be used between fiscal 2004 and fiscal 2008.
- Only $890 million of the $3.4 billion can be used in fiscal 2004.
- Project Bioshield is an initiative to research and develop vaccines, medications, and other countermeasures to combat biological, chemical, nuclear, or radiological bioterrorism threats to our national security.
- Allows the Secretary of HHS to allow the use of "unapproved products" in the event of an emergency.
- Speeds up the process of authorization for funds for research and purchase of agents to combat bioterrorism.